Re scalability of filter construction - the database is likely to hold stable
primary keys not lucene doc ids which are unstable in the face of updates. You
therefore need a quick way of converting stable database keys read from the db
into current lucene doc ids to create the filter. That could involve a lot of
disk seeks unless you cache a pk->docid lookup in ram.  You should use
cachingwrapperfilter too to cache the computed  user permissions from one
search to the next.
This can get messy. If the access permissions are centred around roles/groups
it is normally faster to tag docs with these group names and query them with
the list of roles the user holds.
If individual user-doc-level perms are required you could also consider
dynamically looking up perms for just the top n results being shown at the risk
of needing to repeat the query with a larger n if insufficient matches pass the
lookup.

Cheers
Mark