Hi Stefan,
you might want to consider org.apache.lucene.store.FileSwitchDirectory
before going for the symlinks approach.
Sorry I don't know the effect nor recommended file types, I would
naively start setting the smallest on SSD, then perform tests, but
that's possibly not the best scenario:
under stress the most-frequently used files will likely be cached by
your operating system, so to achieve the perfect setup you would need
to find which is the most frequently used types of files, excluding
what fits in your os cache.. I assume it's going to change with
configurations, index sizes and use cases: not an easy task.

Sanne