If an index file is not completely written to disk, it never become available. Lucene has a file describing the current active index segments. It writes all new files to the disk, and changes the description file (segments.gen) only after that.

If the index files are corrupted, all bets are off. Usually the data structures are damaged and Lucene throws CorruptIndexExceptions, NPE or array out-of-bounds exceptions. There is no checksumming of the index files.

Lance

Pulkit Singhal wrote:
Hello Everyone,

What happens if:
a) lucene index gets written half-way to the disk and then something goes wrong?
b) the index gets corrupted on the file system?

When we open that directory location again using FSDirectory implementations:
a) Is there any provision for the code to clean out the previous file
and start a new index file because the older one was corrupted and
didn't match the checksum?
b) Or can we check that the # of documents that can be found in the
underlying index are now ZERO because they can't be parsed properly?
How can we do this?

- Pulkit