I may be missing the point here, but how do you define an analyzer <-> language match? What do you do in cases of mixed content, for example?

Itamar.

On 25/9/2010 10:27 PM, Shai Erera wrote:
Shai Erera brought a similar idea up before, to use Locale, but my concerns
are it would be limited by javas Locale mechanism... but we can figure this
out.

  It really depends how sophisticated you want such an AnalyzerFactory
(that's how I call it in my code) to be. We can
define it to be a factory for predefined languages (Locale-based) for the
most common use cases. If you want to
have tighter control over the Analyzer you create, you can still instantiate
your own, or create a new one with a custom
TokenFilters chain.

As long as things are well documented, I don't see a reason why we cannot
start simple and only if we find out
that most users don't use 'simple' and prefer to be allowed to specify more
parameters (such as 'word' or 'ngram') we
bring complication into the game.

I'm offering Locale 'cause in most web applications that I know of, the
Locale is defined on the request and is often
used to parse the user's query, translating strings etc.

Anyway, it'd be great to have any such Factory, be it Locale based or not,
because we have so many Analyzers
already, and the way things stand today, any user, even the simplest one,
who wishes to support multi-lingual search
has to sift through all of them and decide what combination to use for each
language. And if the user ends up picking
default values, then a Factory would simplify matters for him.

Shai