On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Ryan Aylward <r...@glassdoor.com> wrote:
> This is great. Is there a target of when 4.0 will be released?

Unfortunately I think its quite a ways away: there are branches for
major features such as per-document payloads, realtime search, modern
index compression algorithms, and a variety of other exciting things
in the works. As far as releases go, currently we are working towards
release 3.1, which is the next stable minor release upgrade from 3.0.

It might be technically possible to backport this feature (per-field
similarity) to the 3.x codebase while still keeping backwards
compatibility, but I'm worried about breaking backwards compatibility
in subtle ways due to some gremlins in the code... we fixed most of
these gremlins in trunk but they are still available and deprecated in
3.1 (example: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2828).

So, at the moment having this feature be something that has to wait
until 4.0 is the safest option in my opinion... but I feel your pain
here when trying to customize the scoring system...