Hi Ian,
 Thanks for sharing your knowledge and to-the-point answers.

1. I've not tested my application with single index as initially (a few
years back) we thought smaller the index size (7 indexes for default 80%
searches) the faster the search time would be. Anyway i'll give it a try and
share the experience.

2. For sharing/caching we create index readers once the server starts and
use these throughout the server's life (1 day). At the time of searches,
number of indexes to be read are decided by analyzing the search parameters.
IndexSearchers are created on persistent IndexReaders and finally a
ParallelMultiSearcher is created from these IndexSearchers (I hope this is
not a problem, or is it???)

3. I had gone through the link you provided and some of the things are
already implemented (e.g. readOnly=true, NIOFSDirectory, optmizing, etc.).
We are using filters for some of the fields and caching those filters in the
memory, through hashtable.

Will reducing number of tokens in a particular field in index reduce the
search time (or CPU, memory etc)?

E.g. I have 11 documents and tokens in field (fld1) are
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0.

The query is - fld1:[ 1.0 TO 2.0 ]

Would it make any difference if the tokens in documents (in the same field)
would be
1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2
??