I'm sure that you should try building one large index and convert to
NumericField wherever you can.  I'm convinced that will be faster -
but as ever, the proof will be in the numbers.

On repeated terms, I believe that lucene will search multiple times.
If so, I'd guess it is just something that has never been optimized.
225 terms is not a very big number, but not very small either.
Complex queries with lots of terms can be expected to be slower than
simple queries with few terms.  If you have a particular problem with
repeated terms perhaps you could dedup them yourself.

--
Ian.