Makes sense. Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Toke Eskildsen [mailto:t...@statsbiblioteket.dk]
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 4:28 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: RAMDirectory doesn't win over FSDirectory all the time, why?

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 15:29 +0200, zhoucheng2008 wrote:
> I read the lucene in action book and just tested the
> FSversusRAMDirectoryTest.java with the following uncommented:
> [...]Here is the output:
>
> RAMDirectory Time: 805 ms
>
> FSDirectory Time : 728 ms

This is the code, right?
http://java.codefetch.com/example/in/LuceneInAction/src/lia/indexing/FSversusRAMDirectoryTest.java

The test is problematic as the same two tests run sequentially.

If you change
  long ramTiming = timeIndexWriter(ramDir);
  long fsTiming = timeIndexWriter(fsDir);
  long fsTiming = timeIndexWriter(fsDir);
  long ramTiming = timeIndexWriter(ramDir);
my guess is that RAMDirectory will be faster. For a better
comparison, perform each test in separate runs (make a test
class just for RAMDirectory and one just for FSDirectory,
then run them one at a time, each in its own JVM).

One big problem when comparing RAMDirectory to file-access
is caching. What you measure with a test might not be what
you see in production, as the production index might be
large compared to RAM available for file caching.