The n in search(Query query, int n) specifies the number of hits
(docs) you want returned.  There is no point in lucene accumulating
10,000 if you only want 10 for the first page.

TopDocs.totalHits tells you the total number of hits for the query.

If you actually want all the hits, see the thread from a couple of
days ago about that.

--
Ian.