Hi Mihai,

what about having an extra field per level?

doc1: [day:monday], [hour:11pm], [minute:22], [second:00], [year:2011],
[month:October], [calendar day:11]...

This way you do not need to hack and you can easily extend your format
if you want to add new dimensions in future.

I did not work with Pivot-Facets but I think this is what they were made
for. http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HierarchicalFaceting

However, if you want to drilldown the full path this will be a huge
performance-bottleneck.

If I were in your shoes, I would try to find a usefull balance for what
you want and what your users need.

If your users are searching for a special document with a special
keyphrase and they are able to specify year, month and day just by
clicking on it, wouldn't this be enough for 95% of all queries?
Why killing the overall performance for just 5% of your queries?

Think about whether it would be better in sense of performance and in
sense of usability, if you refine your results as soon as a user decides
that he/she needs to add a new date-detail to the query.

Hope this helps,
Em