There's org.apache.lucene.index.CheckIndex which will report assorted
stats about the index, as well as checking it for correctness.  It can
fix it too but you don't need that.  I hope. Will take quite a while
to run on a large index.

What version of lucene?  Does a before/after (or large/small)
directory listing give any clues?

--
Ian.