Hi, Mike,

Thanks for your analysis.  You are correct in that
BalancedSegmentMergePolicy is used.  We previously used
LogByteSizeMergePolicy but might have run into some other issues that I was
involved in so weren't using it.

Re: TieredMergePolicy, we'll definitely check that out when we update to the
latest and greatest, which is a much bigger effort than we can afford right
now.  Your blog is a great writeup, btw.

To get around the issue we have now, we have the option of using
SerialMergeScheduler instead and that has been working great for us in the
mean time.

Alfred