I guess you're confusing it with MUST (MUST_NOT) logic.  Try creating
the query you want to exclude without MUST_NOT and add it to the
BooleanQuery with MUST_NOT.  That sounds very confusing.

For example

BooleanQuery bq = new BooleanQuery();
TermQuery tqwanted = new TermQuery(new Term("field1: lovely"));
TermQuery tqexclude = new TermQuery(new Term("field2: horrible"));
bq.add(tqwanted, Occur.MUST);
bq.add(tqexclude, Occur.MUST_NOT);

Should also work with more complex queries.

--
Ian.