Hello everyone,

I need to write a Lucene-based search and retrieval app for Android.
Unfortunately, I am new to both Android development and Lucene, so I am going
up two learning curves at the same time.

My app needs to do the following:
1. I have a collection of docs that I index
2. I have a set of queries I run against the docs/index
3. I need to find all "good" docs where at least one of the queries occurs.
4. I also need to find where in each of the good docs a hit occurs, i.e. I need
to "highlight" all the occurring queries in each of the docs. So maybe I need
to compute pairs of pointers with each pair showing where a hit starts and
ends, or something similar.

I will be using Lucene 3.4.0. It also looks like for #4 I will need to use
highlighting capabilities.

My main question is whether I should expect any performance problems at any of
the indexing/searching/highlighting steps? Can I use the lucene and
highlighting jars (lucene-core-3.4.0.jar and lucene-highlighter-3.4.0.jar) "out
of the box"?

Also, is there any sample code that would show how Lucene components should be
invoked on Android?

Thank you,

Ilya Zavorin