Hi

I have used Index and Optimize   5+ Million XML docs  in Lucene 1.x    7
years ago,

And this piece of IndexWriter.optimize used to Merger all the bits and
pieces of the created into 1 big file.

I have not tracked the API changes since 7 years....and with
lucene-core-3.3.0 ...on google  not able to  find the solutions Why this is
happening.

with regards
karthik