How does searching with PayloadSpanUtil/PayloadTermQuery/etc work to
exclude/filter the matching terms based on the payload within a query
itself, the original question?

The javadocs for PayloadSpanUtil say that the IndexReader should only
contain doc of interest so not much use for a general query on a
normal index.  PayloadTermQuery and PayloadNearQuery factor in the
value of the payloads using Similarity.scorePayload(...).  Can you
return 0 from that to exclude docs?

--
Ian.