I see why I'm so confused, but I think I need to construct a simpler test case.

My top-level BooleanQuery, which has disableCoord=false, has 22
clauses. All but three are ordinary SHOULD TermQueries. the remainder
are a spanNear and a nested BooleanQuery, and an empty PhraseQuery
(that's a bug).

However, at the end of the explain trace, I see:

0.45 = coord(9/20) I think that my nested Boolean, for which I've been
flipping coord on and off to see what happens, is somehow not
participating at all. So switching it's coord on and off has no
effect.

Why 20? Why not 22? Is this just an explain quirk? Should I shove all
this code up to 3.6 from 2.9.3 before bugging you further?