Hmm - I looked at Spans more carefully, and it appears as if your idea about a "fake" Query (some kind of SpanAllQuery would be called for) would work well, and would probably be much simpler to implement. It wouldn't preclude the kind of optimization I was talking about either, but I don't know if it would be worth the trouble.

It turns out in my very specific case I have a term that appears in every document in a particular field, so I am just using a search for that at the moment.

-Mike