Where exactly are you using these double quoted strings?  QueryParser?
 It would help if you showed a code snippet.

Assuming your real data is more complex and the strings you are
searching for aren't necessarily at the start of the text, you'll need
some mix of wildcard and proximity searching.  I don't think that "foo
ba*"~n
will work but I'm sure you'll be able to do it with a SpanQuery or
six.  SpanNearQuery lets you specify slop and whether you care if
matches are in order or not.

See http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2009/07/18/the-spanquery/ for
info on spans.

See also
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#Why_am_I_getting_no_hits_.2BAC8_incorrect_hits.3F
for good tips on figuring out why things aren't doing what you want.

Good luck.

--
Ian.