OOV or OOM?  Always best to post a full stack trace, and version of
lucene, and OS.

Anyway - give your app more memory?  Close searchers after use or some
period of inactivity?

Best long term solution is probably to merge the many small indexes
into one, or a few, larger indexes and restrict queries by an indexed
field identifying the index you are interested in.  A cached filter
can work well for that.

--
Ian.