There was some interesting work done on optimizing queries including very common words (stop words) that I think overlaps with your problem. See this blog post http://www.hathitrust.org/blogs/large-scale-search/slow-queries-and-common-words-part-2 from the Hathi Trust.

The upshot in a nutshell was that queries including terms with very large postings lists (ie high occurrences) were slow, and the approach they took to dealing with this was to index n-grams (ie pairs and triplets of adjacent tokens). However I'm not sure this would help much if your queries will typically include only a single token.

-Mike