OK, it's not the idea that the nested NOT query has got anything to do with
booleanField_1, so I'll try to phrase very clearly what I want :

the query should return docs where

( someField_1 = 0 OR someField_2 = 0) AND
( booleanField_1 = false ) AND
( NOT ( ( someField_1 = 0 OR someField_2 = 0 ) AND booleanField_2 = true ) )

So, all docs that have value 0 for someField_1 or someField_2, and that have
value false for booleanField_1, but excluded from this, those docs that have
value 0 for someField_1 or someField_2 and value true for booleanField_2.

Come to think of it, it's probably useless to repeat the someFields clause
in the NOT clause, so I'll try simplifying this to

(someField_1 = 0 OR someField_2 = 0) AND
(booleanField_1 = false) AND
(NOT booleanField_2 = true )

Even so, I don't see why my original query doesn't return results.