Seems worth mentioning in partial response to this thread's topics that
(almost) regardless of index strategy, lucene performance hinges on number
of matched documents per query, not total docs in index. There are other
mitigating factors (disk type, ram size, etc), but worst case performance
analysis can generally be modeled in terms of matched documents as opposed
to index size.

Apologies for any spelling / grammatical errors; this is sent from my phone.

--dho