There are no real issues with NFS regarding safety of the data. The problem
with NFS is the following (maybe it is fixed in NFS4, I have no idea):
Lucene deletes index files while they are in use, which is perfectly fine for
local file systems (because the inode is still alive, although it is no longer
appearing in directory listing). Unfortunately the deletes of those index files
are not visible to the directory listing asap when using NFS; also newly added
files are not always showing up in the directory listing once created. This
causes problems with Lucene like file not found exceptions. Also the index
directory locking does not work (it times out, because NativeFSLockFactory does
not work with NFS - which is a somehow a bug in NFS).

To use it with NFS make sure:
- Use a custom deletion policy on IndexWriter, so unused files are not deleted
asap
(https://lucene.apache.org/core/3_6_1/api/all/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexDeletionPolicy.html)
- Use SimpleFSLockFactory

Uwe