An option: instead of merging continuously as you run, you can optimize with
'maxSegments=10'. This mean 'optimize but only until there are 10 segments'. If
there are fewer than 10 segments, nothing happens. This lets you schedule
merging I/O.

Is the number of files a problem due to file space breakage?