>From a glance the code looks OK, but there's lots you're not showing
that could cause it not to work - whatever you mean by that. Fails to
get hits on docs you think are in the index?

Look at the index with Luke to see what actually has been indexed.

Look at Query.toString() to see how the query has been parsed.

Read the bit of the FAQ titled something like "Why are my searches not
working?".

--
Ian.