A new postings format would be tricky because you have new attributes
you want to index.

The DocsAndPositionsEnum does have an attributes source, but this is
not well explored, and there are known problems (they can't be easily
merged in the composite reader case).

So that's why I suggested packing your information into a payload ...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com