If I specify a precisionStep of 26 for a TrieDate field, what rough impact
should this have on both performance and index size?

The input data has time in it, but the milliseconds per day is not needed for
the app. Will Lucene store only the top 64 minus 26 bits of data and discard
the low 26 bits?

I’ve read that a higher precisionStep will lower performance. Will a
precisionStep of 26 have dramatically lower performance when referencing days
(without time of day)?

I suppose that the piece of information I am missing is whether trie
precisionStep simply affects some extra index table that trie keeps beyond the
raw data values or the data values themselves.

-- Jack Krupansky