So you want a copy of the merged index on another disk?  You could
just copy it, before or after the merge, your choice. Or create the
new index with an IndexWriter and call one of the addIndexes()
methods.  From the javadocs they sound to have different merge
effects.  Try it out and see what happens.

--
Ian.