We badly need Lucene in Action 3rd edition!

The easiest approach is to use one of the new XXXField classes under
oal.document, eg StringField for your example.

If none of the existing XXXFields "fit", you can make a custom
FieldType, tweak all of its settings, and then create a Field from
that.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com