The simple answer (that somehow nobody gave) is that you can make a copy of an index directory at any time. Indexes are changed in "generations". The segment* files describe the current generation of files. All active indexing goes on in new files. In a commit, all new files are flushed to disk and then the segment* files change. At any point in this sequence, all of the files in the directory form one consistent index.

This isn't like MySQL or other databases where you have to shut down the DB to get a safe copy of the files.

Lance