Version relates to analyzers and the like rather than to internals
such as index format. I don't recall what exactly has changed between
4.0 and 4.3.1 but you're probably safe to change it and use LUCENE_43.

Take a look at the javadoc for StandardAnalyzer - that lists some
versions and what changed with that version.

--
Ian.