Hi,

I have indexed a database table which has about 70 columns out of which 60
columns have been indexed and the rest have been stored. There are 70 million
records in this table. This is a static table and hence I plan to index them at
once and then perform the search on these indices.

I performed a brief comparison between the usually discussed 2 options:

-          Concatenate all the fields separated by a space and then search my
keyword in this single field.

-          Store the 60 columns in 60 separate fields while indexing and then
use MultiFieldQueryParser to search the single keyword in all the 60 fields.

I noticed that the performance was significantly better in option 1. Hence I
continued with it. Please let me know if you still think this is not an
efficient approach.

Question 2:

Among the 60 columns, one column is a date field and I need to perform a
date-range filter while searching for a keyword. I read that date-range filter
can be performed as below in the documentation.

mod_date:[20020101 TO 20030101]

I presume mod_date is the name of one of the fields stored in the indexes. Do I
have to use MultiFieldQueryParser to be able to perform date-range filter or is
there a way to perform date-range and string search using the QueryParser?

Right now, to search a word "important", I search it against one field (which
is a list of concatenated columns). Do you think I can do that as well as
filter records by the date column?

Regards,
Raghu

This message is for information purposes only, it is not a recommendation,
advice, offer or solicitation to buy or sell a product or service nor an
official confirmation of any transaction. It is directed at persons who are
professionals and is not intended for retail customer use. Intended for
recipient only. This message is subject to the terms at:
www.barclays.com/emaildisclaimer.

For important disclosures, please see:
www.barclays.com/salesandtradingdisclaimer regarding market commentary from
Barclays Sales and/or Trading, who are active market participants; and in
respect of Barclays Research, including disclosures relating to specific
issuers, please see http://publicresearch.barclays.com.