Yes, there are two ways to do that. First, I assume that what you want to
do is a.addIndexes(b), and if a document D in b is in a, you don't want to
add it to a, right?

In that case, two options:

Option 1
Iterate on the documents in b (their primary key) and if a doc is found in
a, delete it from b. Then reopen an IndexReader and add to a, the existing
docs won't be deleted.
That's the more expensive way, but easiest to code.

Option 2
Obtain b.getLiveDocs and unset the bits of every document that exists in a.
Then use addIndexes with an AtomicReader which overrides getLiveDocs to
return the modified live docs.
Same as option 1, but you don't actually do the delete operation, which is
more costly than just unsetting a bit.

Shai