There is a decent implementation for a fully in-memory Directory in
the Infinispan project:
https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/tree/master/lucene

This is however not taking advantage of off-heap buffers but storing
the index in the heap itself; the reason being that Infinispan can in
this case deal with index replication over the network.

While I am one of the maintainers of the above code, I would agree on
preferring the MMap implementation over the Infinispan one if you are
interested in a single node only for the sake of simplicity:
Infinispan's implementation is not (yet) significantly faster than
FSDirectory, at least in most of my tests, although it wins by a small
margin in some tests; GC is indeed the bottleneck, but we hope to
improve on that.

Sanne