Hi,

it was not completely removed (it was intended to be removed). See the
migration guide @ http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_3_1/MIGRATE.html, section
about LUCENE-2514. The constructor and the logic was removed from SortField.

The "fast" replacement (means sorting works as fast without collating) is to
index the fields used for sorting with CollationKeyAnalyzer
(https://lucene.apache.org/core/4_3_1/analyzers-common/org/apache/lucene/collation/CollationKeyAnalyzer.html).
 The Collator you get from e.g. the locale.

The slow replacement (which is factored out from the old SortField stuff using
the locale) is:
http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_3_1/sandbox/org/apache/lucene/sandbox/queries/SlowCollatedStringComparator.html
 - use this class a custom sort comparator in your SortField. But be warned: It
is horrible slow. The better was is, as mentioned before, to index the collated
sort keys in the index and do a binary sort on the (non human-readable) keys.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen