I'm confused about the problem: exactly which method call is returning
null?  What do yo umean by "it is coming in the contents of
MultiReader"?  Maybe post a full working test showing the problem?

Your indexing code looks correct, except if you are using only
PostingsHighlighter you don't need to index term vectors.  Also, since
you are starting from TextField.TYPE_STORED, you should only need to
call
offsetsType.setIndexOptions(IndexOptions.DOCS_AND_FREQS_AND_POSITIONS_AND_OFFSETS)
... all the other settings (except term vectors) are inherited from
TextField.TYPE_STORED.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com