If you use PostingsHighlighter, then Passage.getMatchStarts/Ends gives
you the offsets of each match.  You'd need a custom PassageFormatter
that takes these ints and saves them somewhere; or possibly the patch
on LUCENE-4906 (allowing you to return custom objects, not just
String) from your highlighter.

I'm less familiar with the older highlighters but likely it's possible
to get the absolute offsets from them as well.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com