Have you considered storing your indexes server-side? I haven't used
compression but usually the trade-off of compression is CPU usage which
will also be a drain on battery life. Or maybe consider how important the
highlighter is to your users - is it worth the trade-off of either disk
space or battery life? If it's more of a nice-to-have then maybe hold off
on the feature for a later release until you've had some feedback and some
more time to figure out the best solution. Of course I don't know much
about your application, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

--
Mark J. Miller
Blog: http://www.developmentalmadness.com