I'm still a bit confused about exactly what you're indexing, when, but
if you have a unique id and don't want to add or update a doc that's
already present, add the unique id to the index and search (TermQuery
probably) for each one and skip if already present.

Can't you change the log rotation/copying/indexing so that you only
index new data?

To start a fresh index, use IndexWriterConfig.OpenMode.CREATE.

--
Ian.