From: Adrien Grand [mailto:jpou...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 24 October 2013 6:19 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Retrieving values for a NumericDocValuesField [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Hi Stephen,

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Stephen GRAY <stephen.g...@immi.gov.au> wrote:
> I actually need to loop through a large number of documents (50,000 -
> 100,000) calculating a number of statistics (min, max, sum) so I really need
> the most efficient/fastest solution available. It sounds like it would be
> best to just store the data in a stored field.

I see. For that many documents, doc values are actually the right thing to use,
sorry if I put you on the wrong track I was assuming you were only going to
collect values from a few documents.

In your case the best option would be to split your doc ids according to the
segment they belong to, and then for each segment, get a per-segment
NumericDocValues instance and aggregate your statistics.
It is better than using MultiDocValues because MultiDocValues needs to
binary-search for the appropriate segment for every document.

--
Adrien