A NumericDocValues field can only hold one value. Have you thought about
encoding the values in a BinaryDocValues field? Or are you talking about
multiple fields (different names), each has its own single value, and at
search time you sum the values from a different set of fields?

If it's one field, multiple values, then why do you need to separate the
values? Is it because you sometimes sum and sometimes e.g. avg? Do you
always include all values of a document in the formula, but the formula
changes between searches, or do you sometimes use only a subset of the
values?

If you always use all values, but change the formula between queries, then
perhaps you can just encode the pre-computed value under different NDV
fields? If you only use a handful of functions (and they are known in
advance), it may not be too heavy on the index, and definitely perform
better during search.

Otherwise, I believe I'd consider indexing them as a BDV field. For facets,
we basically need the same multi-valued numeric field, and given that NDV
is single valued, we went w/ BDV.

If I misunderstood the scenario, I'd appreciate if you clarify it :)

Shai