My bad, It's using the RamDirectory as a cache and a delegate directory
that you pass in the constructor to do the disk operations, limiting the
use of the RamDirectory to files that fit a certain size. So i guess the
underlying Directory implementation will be whatever you choose it to be.
I'd still try using a MMapDirectory and see if that improves performance.
Also, regarding the pagination, you said you're retrieving 1000 documents
at a time. Does that mean that if a query matches 10000 documents you want
all of them retrieved ?