Well, that code is when you're reading the fields of documents off disk.
Stored fields are compressed/decompressed automatically.

So one question is what is your test doing? In other words, is it
artificially hitting this? The theory is that this should only be done when
you gather the final top N docs to return to the user (i.e. for each doc in
the &rows= parameter if you were coming in from Solr).

There's no simple configuration setting to turn off compression that I know
of. Then again, at the Lucene level I'm pretty clueless.

Erick