many thanks again. this was a good tip.

after switching from FSDirectory to NRTCachingDirectory queries run at double
speed.

Sascha

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 07. August 2014 um 14:54 Uhr
Von: "Sascha Janz" <sascha.j...@gmx.net>
An: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Betreff: Aw: Re: improve indexing speed with nomergepolicy
 many thanks for the tip with NRTCachingDirectory. didn't know that.

i will try it .

Sascha

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 07. August 2014 um 13:37 Uhr
Von: "Shai Erera" <ser...@gmail.com>
An: "java-user@lucene.apache.org" <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
Betreff: Re: improve indexing speed with nomergepolicy
Using NoMergePolicy for online indexes is usually not recommended. You want
to use NoMP in case where you build an index in a batch job, then in the
end before the index is "published" you run a forceMerge or maybeMerge
(with a real MergePolicy).

For online indexes, i.e. indexes that are being searched while they are
updated, if you use NoMP you will accumulate many segments in the index.
This means higher resources consumption overall: file handles, RAM,
potentially disk space, and usually results in slower searches.

You may want to tweak the default MP's settings though, to not kick off a
merge unless there are a large number of segments in the index. E.g. the
default MP merges segments when there are 10 at the same level (i.e.
roughly the same size). You can increase that.

Also, do you use NRTCachingDirectory? It's usually recommended for NRT,
even with default MP, since the tiny segments are merged in-memory, and
your NRT reopens don't result in flushing new segments to disk.

Shai