Erick, Solr termfreq implementation also uses DocsEnum with the assumption that
freq are called on ascending
doc IDs which is valid when scoring from from the hit list. If freq is
requested for an out of order doc, a new
DocsEnum has to be created.

Bianca, can you explain your use case in more details? What did you mean by
having a new document? A new
document is added to the index? Then you already have to reopen the
searcher/reader anyway to get a new
DocsEnum.