Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.

I am sure I have lucene-analyzers-common.jar added to my eclipse project.
However, I have figured out a way to run it. I am not sure whether this is a
bug or undocumented workflow for Snowball filters.

Map<String,String> args = new HashMap<>();
TokenStream tokenStream = new StandardTokenizer(Version.LUCENE_46, new
StringReader("Some text"));
args.put("luceneMatchVersion", "4.6");
args.put("language", "Catalan");
SnowballPorterFilterFactory factory = new SnowballPorterFilterFactory(args);
*factory.inform(new ClasspathResourceLoader());*
TokenFilter filter = factory.create(tokenStream);

As you can see, the key here is calling the *inform* method of the
SnowballProterFilterFactory to add the respected language stemmer's class.
This is actually the task of the *inform* method. The standard constructor
of this class does not call this method as you can see below:

/** Creates a new SnowballPorterFilterFactory */
  public SnowballPorterFilterFactory(Map<String,String> args) {
    super(args);
    language = get(args, "language", "English");
    wordFiles = get(args, PROTECTED_TOKENS);
    if (!args.isEmpty()) {
      throw new IllegalArgumentException("Unknown parameters: " + args);

  @Override
  public void inform(ResourceLoader loader) throws IOException {
    String className = "org.tartarus.snowball.ext." + language + "Stemmer";
    stemClass = loader.newInstance(className,
SnowballProgram.class).getClass();

    if (wordFiles != null) {
      protectedWords = getWordSet(loader, wordFiles, false);

looking forward for your feedback.