I've considered this, but there are two problems with it. First of all, it feels like I'm still taking up twice the storage, I'm just doing it using a single index rather than two of them. This doesn't sound like it's buying me anything.

The second problem with this is simply that I haven't figured out how to do this. I assume in creating two fields you would implement two separate analyzers on them, one using LowerCaseFilter and the other not. I haven't made the connection on how to tie an Analyzer to a particular field. It seems to be tied to the IndexWriterConfig and the IndexWriter.

Thanks,
John