Hi,

In general, storing an index on NFS mounts is a really bad idea, because Lucene
Commits don't work correctly with NFS (this is an issue since the early
beginning and is not fixable). If you use NFS, you need to use
SimpleFSLockFactory for locking (because NativeFSLockFactory does not work) and
you may also need to use a different IndexFileDeleter.

MMapDirectory does not behave different with NFS, but the risk of cruashing
your JVM is very high. If the connection to the NFS server drops, the OS kernel
will unmap the mapped file and all accesses to it will cause a segmentation
fault (crush) of your Java VM. Otherwise there is no real difference between
the directory implementations. Writing and locking the index is the main
problem (see above).

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler