From: Vijay B [mailto:vijay.nip...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2014 9:16 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Order docIds to reduce disk seeks

*Could someone point me how to order docIds as per
**http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ImproveSearchingSpeed
<http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ImproveSearchingSpeed>*

*"Limit usage of stored fields and term vectors. Retrieving these from the
index is quite costly. Typically you should only retrieve these for the current
"page" the user will see, not for all documents in the full result set. For
each document retrieved, Lucene must seek to a different location in various
files. Try sorting the documents you need to retrieve by docID order first."*

*To give some background:*

*We are using plain vanilla LUCNE (version 4.2.1) for our **Our
application.**We index our documents using stored fields. We add two fields
related to our documents: UUID: 9 digit number represents internal id and
doc_text: document text( 7k to 20K in size approx). In our search code, **we
use boolean Query to retrive by UUID  and fetch document text use if for other
processing. We are noticing slow response times with the searches. I understand
that stored field retrieval are slower and should be limited but this is
mandatory for our app.*

Current code:

TopScoreDocCollector collector =
TopScoreDocCollector.create(BooleanQuery.getMaxClauseCount(), true);

dirReader = DirectoryReader.open(FSDirectory.open(......))
IndexSearcher indexSearcher = new IndexSearcher(dirReader);
indexSearcher.search(query, collector); ScoreDoc[] scoreDocs =
collector.topDocs().scoreDocs;

for (ScoreDoc scoreDoc : scoreDocs) {
Document luceneDoc = indexSearcher.doc(scoreDoc.doc); String text =
luceneDoc.get("doc_text"); //these calls take lot of time

//process text